Call for Applicants: CIPR Senior Research Fellow
The Center for Information Policy Research (CIPR) is seeking a Senior Research Fellow for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Established in 1998 within the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee School of Information Studies (SOIS), CIPR is a multidisciplinary research center for the study of the intersections between the policy, ethical, political, social and legal aspects of the global information society. CIPR facilitates information policy research through its research agenda, lecture series, consulting and outreach, focusing on such key information policy issues as privacy, intellectual freedom, intellectual property, access to information, censorship, and the complex array of government, corporate, and global information practices and policies (see http://www4.uwm.edu/cipr/about/). A particular focus for CIPR in 2012-2013 is “big data.”
The Senior Research Fellow position has been created to provide a senior scholar the opportunity to participate in the intellectual community of CIPR and SOIS. UWM faculty in all departments who hold the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor may apply.
Terms of the Fellowship:
- The Senior Research Fellow is 1-year appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
- Duties include: collaborate with Center personnel on research projects as appropriate, participate in Center events and outreach efforts, and provide informal mentoring to SOIS students with aligned interests.
- For 2012-2013, the Fellow is expected to co-author a major, collaborative research grant proposal with the CIPR Director, focusing on information policy issues related to “big data.”
- The Fellow will be provided dedicated workspace within CIPR, and have access to SOIS support functions (grant writing, front office, business office, IT support).
- The Fellow will receive compensation of 1/9th of the previous academic year salary, payable in summer 2013, in accordance with UW System policy.
Please submit the following materials, preferably as .pdf files, as e-mail attachments to Dr. Michael Zimmer, CIPR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- letter explaining your research agenda and its appropriateness to CIPR, broadly, as well as a brief proposal for a major, collaborative research grant proposal focusing on “big data.”
- curriculum vitae
- recent article, manuscript (article length), or other appropriate example of your research
Deadline for applications is August 31, 2012. Decisions to be made by September 15, 2012, with appointment commencing upon acceptance.
For more information, please contact Dr. Michael Zimmer, CIPR Director, at email@example.com.